For Release: 03/31/2017
Dam Safety Awareness Week April 2-8
In recognition of Dam Safety Awareness Week (April 2-8, 2017) as proclaimed by
Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, Wisconsin Public Service, We Energies and Wisconsin River Power Company strongly urge recreational and fishing enthusiasts to be safe around dams and hydroelectric facilities.
The week's purpose is to emphasize the importance of safety near dams and on waterways to help
prevent accidents. Most accidents at dams can be prevented by simply staying away from restricted
areas and learning about the dangers associated with dams.
Safety precautions include:
- Obey all warning signs.
- Heed horns or sirens.
- Be aware of rapidly changing water conditions.
- Practice safe boating and swimming.
- Bring a cell phone and contact 911 in an emergency.
- Wear a personal floatation device (PFD), a life jacket.
- Always stay outside buoy lines and away from restricted areas near dams.
- Always have a safe escape route planned when near a dam. Be prepared to evacuate at the first sign of danger.
Wisconsin Public Service, We Energies and Wisconsin River Power Company operate numerous hydroelectric facilities throughout Wisconsin.
For More Information, Contact: