For Release: 04/02/2018
Dam Safety Awareness Week, April 1-7
In recognition of Dam Safety Awareness Week (April 1-7, 2018) as proclaimed by Wisconsin
Governor Scott Walker, We Energies, Wisconsin Public Service and Wisconsin River Power Co.
strongly urge recreational and fishing enthusiasts to be safe around dams and hydroelectric facilities.
The week's purpose is to emphasize the importance of safety near dams and on waterways to help
prevent accidents. Most accidents at dams can be prevented by simply staying away from restricted
areas and learning about the dangers associated with dams.
Safety precautions include:
- Obey all warning signs
- Heed horns or sirens
- Be aware of rapidly changing water conditions
- Practice safe boating, fishing and swimming
- Bring a cell phone and contact 911 in an emergency
- Wear a personal flotation device (life jacket)
- Stay outside buoy lines and away from restricted areas near dams
- Have a safe escape route planned when near a dam and evacuate at the first sign of danger
We Energies, Wisconsin Public Service and Wisconsin River Power Co. operate numerous
hydroelectric facilities throughout Wisconsin.
For More Information, Contact: